Friday, December 10, 2010

Rethinking Attribute names (late to the party).

It has been a while since my last post.

After reading this post on Jeff's blog yesterday, I thought I would apply that to a project I have been toying around with for a while now. Re-writing the rules of Empire of the Petal Throne OD&D for my own little iron-age type game. I like the idea of using alternate attribute names to give a different feel to the game (without changing the benefits of the stats). I know Zendog is doing something similar with his Redwall game (if you haven't seen this yet, check out his work on the Swords & Wizardry forums - some excellent stuff going on there).

I like the following (which were taken from here):
Stature (str)
Lore (int)
Piety (wis)
Spirit (con)
Luck (dex)
Glamour (cha)

So with the above in mind I set out to alter the Intelligence tables for EPT as follows:

Score Descritpion Benefits
01 - 20 Ignorant -1 on BOTH Hit and Damage dice.
21 - 40 Unread -1 on Damage dice.
41 - 60 Average No bonuses or penalties.
61 - 80 Scholar +1 to Damage dice.
81 - 95 Sage +1 to BOTH Hit Dice & Damage dice. 40% Chane for Secret doors.
96 - 00 Wizend +2 to BOTH Hit Dice & Damage dice. 60% chance forSecret Doors, 40% chance to Detect Traps.


I feel that this allows one to separate a players intelligence from the character's better. You can still be a strong, smart warrior but unlearned in books and archaic lore.

5 comments:

  1. Late to the party my eye. Odds are pretty good I read JD's post from a year ago and forgot about it, only to "re-invent" the subject yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always on the fence about renaming Attributes. To do so would be so damn logical. As you say, if you called the Att "Lore" or "Knowledge" or "Education", it would be so clear. And yet, the old names are so branded upon many folks' brains (mine included), that I always end up doing a mental translation - "Oh, right, that's Intelligence" - that it kinda seems like more work than it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dig the notion of Glamour as a kind of magical Charisma. It definitely would fit for a campaign where fey creatures played significant roles. A high Glamour score would naturally net perks for Illusionists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bleach Sword Says:

    Your article is amazing I got an effective knowledge from you article. I want to read more about your other articles on Swords

    ReplyDelete
  5. One moment, I'll post mine soon. just wanted to say I love your new site!hcg

    ReplyDelete